Using social media
Social media is a great – and free – way to publicly celebrate and thank your volunteers.
This year, Volunteers’ Week is taking to Twitter once more. Be sure to share these dates and links with your volunteers so they can be part of the celebrations across the UK:
Friday 1 June, 11.00 – 12.00
Twitter launch party
Use #VolunteersWeek to celebrate the start of Volunteers Week 2018 and all the ways volunteers give their time
Last year we trended worldwide – let’s do it again!
Saturday 2 and Sunday 3 June
All in a picture
Share your best volunteering pics on Twitter and Instagram using #VolunteersWeek – the more diverse the better!
Monday 4 June
As well as tweeting about volunteering for all, we’ll also be saying happy birthday to the NHS – 70 this year!
Also on Monday 4 June, 14.00 – 15.00
Twitter chat for volunteer managers
Tuesday 5 June
We’ll be placing the spotlight on young volunteers.
Wednesday 6 June
Tweeting about all the ways volunteers get involved in sports and physical activity.
Wednesday 6 June, 14.00 – 15.00
Time for another Twitter party!
Remember to use #VolunteersWeek to celebrate all the ways volunteers give their time.
Thursday 7 June, 13.00 – 14.00
#VolunteersWeek wrap party
A celebration of the different people who give time.
From trustees to CEO – a great day for getting your whole organisations tweeting thanks to volunteers.
- Follow @NCVOvolunteers, the official Twitter account for Volunteers’ Week.
- Use #volunteersweek to say ‘thank you’ to your volunteers and join thousands of other organisations in a nationwide show of thanks.
- Encourage your volunteers to tell their stories with #volunteersweek.
Improve your skills
If you’re new to social media or want to brush up your knowledge, here are some useful resources.
New to social media
- How to get started with social media
- How to choose the right social media networks for your organisation
- How to set up a Facebook page for your organisation
- How to use Facebook
- How to use Twitter
- Social media (an introduction)
- Strategic social media (online Studyzone course)
- How to run a campaign using social media
- How to reach a wider audience on social media
- How to build your network using social media
- How to develop a social media strategy
- How to manage social media
- How to use Snapchat for nonprofit
- New audiences with social media (case study)
- Retweet, like, comment, reply: boosting online engagement (case study)
- Charity social media toolkit