Why is volunteering important?
As well as helping others, volunteering has been shown to improve volunteers' wellbeing too.
- In 2017/18, 20.1 million (38%) people in the UK volunteered formally at least once a year and 11.8 million (22%) of people did so at least once a month.
- ‘Wanting to do good’ is the most common motivation to volunteer. In 2017/18, 46% of people said that they volunteer to improve things and help others.
- In 2015/16, there were around 166,000 voluntary organisations in the UK, most of which rely on volunteers.
- In 2015, volunteering was worth more than £22.6bn to the UK economy. This is equivalent to about 1.2% of GDP.
- 67% of volunteers give their time to charities and community groups, but many others also volunteer in the public and private sectors.