Why is volunteering important?
As well as helping others, volunteering has been shown to improve volunteers' wellbeing too.
- In 2018/19, 19.4 million (36%) people volunteered through a group at least once a year and over 11.9 million (22%) of people did so at least once a month.
- The most common reason overall for volunteering is wanting to improve things or help people (42%).
- In 2019/20, there were around 163,000 voluntary organisations in the UK, most of which rely on volunteers.
- In 2017/18, the voluntary sector contributed £18.2bn to the UK economy. This is equivalent to about 0.9% of GDP.
- 67% of volunteers give their time to charities and community groups, but many others also volunteer in the public and private sectors.